We are starting the major division winter development program the week of January 25. As usual we will have our major teams practicing once per week led by the team coaches until the season starts.
This season we are introducing a new approach by bringing Kevin Nicholson into our program as a professional coach. He will be providing technical support for player and Coach development at all divisions. You can see Kevin’s credentials and experience on our website. He will also be running private clinics in our facilities.
For the Majors winter program Kevin will be a guest coach attending many of the major division weekly sessions.
As in past (normal) seasons, these weekly major team sessions will be in addition to the Sunday Whalley/Douglas college sessions currently underway and resuming on the 10th.
The Major division winter sessions are open to all major division players previously drafted to a team as well as any new prospective players wishing to try out for the majors in the spring evaluations. The major division traditionally is ages 10-11-12 with a limited number of 9 year olds.
Due to Covid considerations, these practices will not be “open” practices for players to move between teams as they have in the past. Sessions will be limited to 10 players. Players will need to be assigned and stay with one session.
POTENTIAL SESSION TIMES:
- Mondays 5:00-6:30 & 6:30-8:00
- Tuesdays 5:00-6:30 & 6:30-8:00
- Wednesdays 5:00-6:30 & 6:30-8:00
- Thursdays 5:00-6:30 & 6:30-8:00
- Fridays 5:00-6:30 & 6:30-8:00
* Preference will be noted for each player. Assignments will be based on returning major team times and availability.
$75 per player
KEVIN NICHOLSON PLAYER AND COACH EXPERIENCE
Kevin is a Whalley Little League’s Hall of Fame player who played shortstop for the MLB San Diego Padres. (see his other highlights below). He has now returned to Whalley as Director of Player Development for the Premier League Whalley Chiefs and will be taking an active role in Whalley Little League’s player and coach development programs in the new year.
- College ball @ NCAA Div. 1 Stetson University
- Cape Cod Summer League MVP in 1996
- Canada Jr. National team SS in 1996
- Drafted 1st round in 1997 by San Diego Padres
- First Canadian ever drafted in 1st round
- MLB debut with Padres in 2000
- Canadian Olympic Baseball team (2004)
- Team Canada World Baseball Classic (2006)
- 10 years in professional baseball
- 4 years of coaching BC Minor Baseball
- 2 x BC Minor Baseball coach of the year
- Head Instructor and Program Director Yale Baseball Academy
- Director of Player Development Whalley Chiefs Premier League
Join Our Newsletter
About Whalley Little League
Whalley Little League exists to provide the youth of our community with an affordable opportunity to learn excellent baseball skills in a fun, healthy, environment and to develop the three attributes of Little League’s Motto: Character, Courage, and Loyalty; to also understand an individual’s contribution to a team, to value healthy competition, and to respect the game and all its participants. Our goal is that these values and attributes will extend in to the lives of our players beyond baseball.
It is our vision that we will continue to inspire pride in every player, parent, and volunteer for being part of a continuing tradition that has made us the most successful Little League in Canada since 1956.
Whalley Little League
P.O. Box 33512
Central City Mall,
Surrey BC V3T 5R5